Moving can be so difficult! Whether it’s across the country or across town, the struggle to get everything together and moved to a new location can be exhausting. That’s why we’ve made this ultimate moving checklist for once you have finally bought your new home in or around Waltham, MA. Why has a hard time moved when you already spent enough energy on buying a new home? Make your life easier with this checklist!
8 Weeks Before the Move
- Hire and set the budget for your mover. Remember to keep your moving budget realistic and stick to someone you know you can trust. Always read over any documents before signing!
- Don’t forget all this bustle means that you WILL need to request some time off. Let your employer know in advance what days you need in order to make the move!
- Make sure you find a new school for your kids. Some areas have multiple you can choose from. There may be vocational, public or private schools. Look for one that you know will best suit your child’s needs as well as yours! Transferring schools may require transcripts so you might need to contact your current school!
6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Keep track of what you’re packing! It is easy for things you treasure to get lost in the move. You don’t want to throw away any valuables accidentally! It may help to keep an inventory sheet in order to log everything.
- Mark all of your moving boxes. This will help movers determine how to pack everything without breaking anything fragile. It will also make unpacking much easier!
- Make sure to measure your doorways! You will want everything to fit and you would NOT want to find out on the big day that it doesn’t.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Make sure all-important legal documents are stored somewhere safe and that all are accounted for. Carry them with you throughout the big move.
- Compile any health records for all members of the household.
- Request anything you may need for your vet and update their ID tags.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Make a separate moving file so that you can compile all receipts and bills from moving.
- Back up your computer so that if anything is lost, all of your important information will be saved.
- Set up the trash and recycle in your new town so that you’re not stuck with a bunch of trash bags the first week in your new home!
- Change your address for Social Security benefits and notify any government offices you may need to know about your address change such as the IRS.
- Update your driver’s license and any subscriptions.
- Contact utility companies to turn on/off.
The Week of the Move
Clean your home.
Leave a note for the new residents.
- Pack an essentials box with anything you will immediately need from the move.
Have any other questions about how to make the best of your next move or need advice on finding the perfect home for your, then be sure to contact your local Waltham Realtor.